Wednesday, 11 July 2007

Guess Who Is To Blame? … You!

…The Lord sent out a great wind into the sea and there was a mighty tempest in the sea so the ship was liken to be broken… and Jonah said unto them ‘take me up and cast me forth into the sea, so shall the sea be calm unto you, for I know that for my sake this great tempest is unto you-Jonah 1:1-15

WHAT!…isn’t something wrong with that picture? What does he mean by, ‘throw me out’?

Amazing... What integrity!

How many of us can actually say that? Admit it’s our fault, or at least that we contributed to the problem especially when no one realizes, and say, ‘I guess the best thing you should do isthrow me out’. Or say ‘Oh! The company is experiencing a serious financial problem, hey boss! Fire me! Fire me! I am the cause.

I don’t think anyone will say so… But Jonah did. He wasn’t going or doing what God told him to do. Most of the time we are not also actually doing what God told us to do, or worse, we are doing what he told us not to do.


How many have the courage to say after stealing a pen from your office in a multi-national company, that ‘I’m the cause why the company is facing a depression, fire me!’

Well I guess you are saying, ‘Rotex, it’s only just a pen!

Oh! I presume it would be more dignifying if someone said ‘fire me’ after embezzling half of the company’s profit? (I think you will rather not say so, especially when no else one knows.)

Well, what I’m trying to get at is whether you stole a pen or a million-dollar-worth of pens, how many of us will admit that we are the (major or minor) contributory factor to the problem of the company or the society and dare I say the problem in our lives!

Most of us quickly believe or pretend to believe the problem is out there. We could sound patriotic and blame the west, or sound political and blame the government, or even still sound religious and blame the devil…. and like Jonah, we sleep in our ignorance or worse still in our arrogance.

The root to all ‘sea-sickness-problems’ is the sin of disobedience.

God expects us to admit our guilt when we go wrong. (…And yes especially when no one knows, because the truth is, God already knows.)

Only when we submit our self to Him and we throw our self out off the ship-of not doing what God expects from us, he will save us and also cease the ‘problem sea’ from raging.

Though I must admit that it isn’t easy admitting ones guilt especially when you consequently get swallowed by a ‘fish’, but will we rather get swallowed by the ‘deep blue sea’?

Things can only go right when we stop fleeing away from God and His word, and stop pretending that we are comfortable in the midst of trouble and then end up bringing everything or everybody down.

I am not proclaiming that you should go out and start shouting I’m the cause of all the political crises and economic depression in the world or worse still the death of thousands of people that died in the bombing of the World-Trade-center. But rather in our inner-closet, if we all could only submit to God and admit our guilt, (for all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. -Rom 3:23) He will save us through Christ Jesus.

Only then can I promise you that He would bring peace to the ship…. of your life.

Written by ‘Rotimi Alade

2 comments:

Unknown said...

True talk, if only we can admit our wrong doing, then our lives will move forward and it will be a better place for everybody. God have mercy on our soul.

Unknown said...

Guess we always have to blame someone or something for the stuff we go through.
Well said Rotex,we should be sincere with ourselves cos HE already knows